12 August 2009

A beautiful funeral

Well I went to a funeral on Monday for a very dear friend of my family (Borrego). The lady's name was Pearl Tortice Lee she was part Apache and Hopi I think. My family knew her ever since I was a little girl. My dad was their first Branch president when they were baptized. I LOVED being in that Lamanite branch as a young girl. In fact that's the only church I really remember going to. I do know I went to primary in Show Low 2nd ward for a time but I didn't actually go to a ward til I was 12. Very many happy memories, I feel very fortunate to have been able to be raised in that environment. Oh I also went to Mass quite a bit as a kid too, another story.
Pearl's two oldest girls were the only babysitters I ever had and then when I got older I babysat my younger siblings. They were the sweetest girls and so nice and kind, just like their mother. She was NEVER pretentious about anything and the gospel was one of the most important things in her life. Pearl and her husband were going to the temple clear up until she got sick doing her family's work. It looked like she wore a white camp dress for her temple dress, I thought how cute. She had the kindest face and smile I have ever seen . We have kept in touch with them through all these years. The stories her kids and grandkids told were so funny, I had NO idea that she had such a sense of humor but she was very shy too, so we all didn't get to see it much except through her kids, who are hilarious.
When we went to the veiwing on Sunday, Pheobe just broke down and sobbed when she saw my mom and then sobbed some more when she saw me and my sister. She said she was fine until we showed up, then she told my mom she was her other mom. What an honor for my mother.
BUT.....the most beautiful part about this funeral was the chapel and the cultral hall filled with all Native Americans and a few white people scattered here and there. You don't see that too much and it just made my heart feel full. I love these people sooo much, not as a whole but the ones I've known and grew up with. The spirit there was so humbling and strong. I have not felt that in a long time. Usually I come away from some meeting feeling drained but this time I came away feeling so energized and happy from all the love that was shown to me and my family. What an example as to how we should treat each other in our own wards. Hopefully I can remember that and make an extra effort to be friendly, loving and accepting to all in my own ward. I don't put myself out there too much.....bad Llama. OH! and another dear friend showed up. Her name is Claralynn (used to be West) but I can't for the life of me remember her married name. Her dad was white and her mom was Apache. I thought Claralynn was the most beautiful girl and woman I had ever seen up to that point in my life and.....she still is very beautiful. She sat by us and hung out with us the whole time. Happy, happy, joy, joy. It was a great day and reunion. Just thought I would share the joy.

No comments: