A few weeks ago we had a structure fire in our district that both neighboring fire departments (Pinetop and ShowLow ) were summoned to assist us. I was not on duty at the time but since it was toned out as the balance of a first alarm and a working fire on a two story structure, protocol required that I respond to the station.
( a little background here) It was before 8:00 in the morning, there was about half a foot of snow on the ground, and Quentin was returning to his home after a shift of firefighter duty in
whiteriver. Since he is a reserve for Lakeside Fire, he went straight to station 210 and was able to leave with the first out engine.
I went to Lakeside Station Two to fire up engine 221 and drive it to station 210 in order to pick up the five guys who had showed up there to assist. By the time we arrived at the scene, Pinetop and ShowLow had several pieces of fire apparatus engaged in suppression activities, as well as our first due engine and rescue. There was a narrow snow covered driveway some 150 foot long leading to the involved structure. Smoke and flames were coming from the upper west end and a little smoke also showed from the gable at the east end.
Activities on a fire or EMS scene are dictated by training. Everyone seems to go on auto-pilot as soon as it becomes evident that action is needed. A horizontal standpipe was laid up the driveway and to that 3 inch supply line was connected a wye with two 2 3/4 inch attack lines. Quentin and Nik took the interior attack line up the outside stairs, made entry and in perfect textbook fashion fogged the flames from inside the structure toward the entry point. Very little water was used, thereby limiting damage to the contents that were not burning. Salvage and overhaul operations proceeded as practiced by all departments and in short order we were cleaning up and draining hoses to get everyone back in service.
The Chief officers had all personnel meet for an evaluation discussion. We stood in a circle and each officer reported their respective responsibilities and how each assignment was carried out. The purpose of these meetings is to not only to reinforce good decisions and behavior but also to learn from mistakes and to assure that all have a chance to input observations. As we were thus gathered and I was looking at my fire fighting family, I became very emotional...more so than i can remember for a long time. In the past months we have had several incidents that naturally would have been cause for deep emotion. There was a fatality of a citizen in a house fire shortly before christmas. Several firefighters have had various family situations that have been difficult, and one has had to take a leave of absence. The holidays always bring opportunities to serve the community, with our thanksgiving and Christmas dinner programs and our Gifts for Christmas tradition that is so appreciated by the public. But this was something different for me.
You all know how art, music and the movies are created to evoke certain feelings. A really good performance by a really good actor can bring a tear to many an eye. As I looked into the faces of those brothers and sisters in that circle who have pledged to put their lives in danger to preserve the lives and property of their neighbors, tears welled up when I came to the face of my very own flesh and blood son, who probably didn't even notice that I was there. I must admit that I cry easily at a good movie, but this was no production, we were no actors, and the tears were very real. I'm grateful for all those who have gone before us to make this such a noble profession. I'm glad there are yet many who feel the call of adreneline and answer with eagarness. And I very aware of the things my family had to do without during all those years as a volunteer firefighter. And every day I give thanks for the job I currently have that allows me to be counted among some of the area's finest. But above all I am thankful for my family. Monica, our children and grandchildren are what give meaning and value to each day. So a big fat thanks to you all. Yes, that means you who are not in Lakeside, also. I love you all.
4 comments:
thanks for sharing that dad. It really was great to experience that through your eyes. Made me cry...
love ya dad.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have your genes for being an emotional schmuck too. I've always been proud of my firefighting relatives. Millie and I watched the events of 9/11 on History channel a few weeks ago and I kept getting emotional during that too. Sure, for the events of that day, but it was additionally difficult seeing the faces of the service personnel that gave their lives in that event.
I'm thankful for this country's servants, the emergency crews, in all their duties for all they risk, sacrifice and do for the communities in which they serve!
And a special thanks to you dad, and Q, for your service and great examples of selflessness!
Love you!
Thad this was a beautifully written piece of your heart. . . Thank you for sharing it.
Hey Pop! That was a great post! I love hearing about your firefighter experience. I'm glad that you get to be part of such a great thing, serving your city and country and family. I'm glad that you shared this part of your life. Thanks!!
Post a Comment