22 March 2011

The Least of These.......

Today I had the opportunity to help my mother-in-law bathe, get dressed, get a breathing treatment etc...I'm grateful for the chance to serve her and help out Deann and Cara who have taken this on themselves....bless them! I'm so grateful for their sacrifice to give of their time and talents. I have felt bad that I haven't stepped up better to ease their load, I am choosing now to do so. We can always make time for others if we choose to. We make time for other things that aren't as important as our parents or children.
I use to take care of my friend's mom when she would come and live up here for the summer. What a joy that was and a bit different than what I need to do with Thad's mother. I was already 'broken' in so not too uncomfortable this time.
I'm so grateful for Tev for taking care of her granny (my mom) when she got out of the hospital and needed to be showered etc... It's a humbling experience to care for those who once cared for you. The circle of life. I'm glad to have such an awesome daughter well two actually but Tev is so awesome for taking on so many things to help and serve others. I'm pretty sure the Lord will always bless her for each effort she makes to step up and do the right thing.
I hope and pray that I can always step up and do the right thing so when I'm weighed and measured I will not be found 'wanting'.
My belief is this..... if I am always aware of other people's needs and try to care for them and not worry about what I'm not getting or getting I will be farther along my eternal road to salvation and maybe it won't take me as long or be as hard in the hereafter. It's taken me many, many years to finally let go of my proud little self and not let everything be about 'me' and now I don't care as much about myself as I use to. Very liberating to not have or put any expectations on anyone. Easier said than done and I do have my 'me moments' and failings but they are fewer.
When one stops focusing on themselves and quit worrying about how they're not being served or pointing fingers at others for not acting like they think they should then one finds real joy in living their life.
Just my little soap box for the day. I think having to teach the Relief Society lesson on Sunday made me really re-evaluate myself about how charitable "AM I?" Did I just open a door for scrutiny? Oh well..... I'm a big girl, most of the time. I just remind myself to.....like/love myself first (like Christ loves me) and then I have the ability to love and care about others more fully and not feel like I have to be reciprocated. Pretty big talk huh?

1 comment:

teviawall said...

Beautiful! I am also grateful for the opportunity I have had over the last two years to serve my granny. I am grateful my kids get to see me in service and I hope that they understand the importance of that.

I, too, am still learning to not make everything about "me" Thanks for continuing to be a goo example to me with that.

keep up the good work momsie!I love you.